Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Conversion Takes Time


Hello Everyone!
 
I hope everything is going well back at home for all of you and that everyone is settling back into classes and work for the new year! 

Things are going pretty smoothly here in Taipei. This last week was pretty good! We had some important lessons with our investigators this week that really helped us understand where they are in the conversion process. Sometimes when we are teaching it is hard to understand what the investigator is feeling or how they are taking all of these things. You feel like you are putting a lot of effort into teaching, and you are just hoping for the best, but you're not sure what to expect in the end. I have learned that as we get on a more personal level with them, we can become a little more direct with our questions and ask them how they are doing. We had a few lessons like that this past week with our investigators, and they were able to open up more with us. The conversion process is different for everyone. I think when I first got here it seemed like it would be quick for most everyone that we met with, but I'm learning that the spirit works in different ways with each person. Some accept the gospel immediately, but for  others it is a process of building upon little spiritual experiences that over time culminate in faith, repentance, baptism and a true testimony of these things. 

One of the investigators we are meeting with is Brother Lu. He is about 26 and is a computer engineer. Life is very simple for him. He has a Buddhist background, but we tracted into him about 2 months ago when I first got here. Even though we have been meeting with him about every week, he says that he still does not believe in God, and he says that he doesn't have much in the way of expectations for our meetings, but you can tell that he does have a desire to learn.  Also, he sees the difference it makes in our lives and in the members lives and he does want to know for himself. This week he explained to us how he has been meeting with us all this time and hasn't felt anything, but he's starting to realize that if he wants to really feel something for himself he needs to do some things on his own - not just listen to us. He told us that he was going to pray and read on his own to see. It was really cool to hear him say that. As much as I wish that everyone would accept this gospel, agency is so important.  It was cool to see him using his agency in a way that will bless his life. I hope that he will pray sincerely and be able to get that answer he is wondering about.

I would also like to share a cool experience with you guys that happened to my companion and me two days ago. We were at a little market store making a phone call that evening. When we finished up, we left to go start contacting at a park.  When we arrived at the park,  I realized that I had left my backpack back at the store. So we decided to go back to the store and get it really quickly and just see how the contacting would go on the way. After we got my backpack, we decided to go to a different street to try contacting. During the last 5 minutes of our time there, we ran into a wonderful family that was walking on the street. They invited us to come over the next day to share our message with them. The father said that he felt it was something that would help his family. It was a cool little miracle to see. Although we did not plan for this at all during the day, and I did not intend to leave my backpack at the store, I learned the Lord is always guiding us and helping us to go where his prepared people are. I know that He wanted me to forget my backpack that day so that we could go to that other street to contact, and at that specific time run into this family. It is so cool to see His guiding hand in the work as we step back and look at all the blessings that have occurred.

My times is about up here for the week, but I hope that everyone has an awesome week wherever you are!
Love, Elder Bastian

P.S. I know that my English is getting worse and the email is a little rushed. I hope it still makes sense to you guys!  Ha, Sorry!






No comments:

Post a Comment