Monday, May 13, 2013

A Chance to Return to the Temple


Hello!
 
It's midway into the week here in Taiwan! This week our preparation day was changed to Wednesday because we have a multi-zone-wide temple day today. So my companion and I were up pretty early this morning to shoot out some quick emails, then we got ready for the day and headed off to Taipei, which is about an hour or so bus ride. It was so great to be able to enter into the House of the Lord today. It's been about 4 months or so since the last time we had a temple day. While I was there I was able to put away all my worries and stresses and focus on being edified by the Holy Ghost. Every time I go to the temple, I always have a feeling of peace that I have not felt anywhere else. It really is rejuvenating to go there.

This past week and a half has been pretty good! My companion and I have had some pretty cool experiences teaching others about the gospel. The first was with a Sister Long. She is a newer investigator. Early last week, my companion and I were tracting, going door to door, sharing our message. We only had about an hour and a half to use at that time because we needed to be back to the church for a lesson after that. We started tracting and knocked and knocked at different homes, but no one was interested at the moment. We went down the last alley of houses and were at the second to last house when my companion and I were deciding if we should just leave at that point and head back to a different part of town, but we just decided that we would try the last house really quickly. So, my companion rang the buzzer and we heard a lady's voice answering. At first she didn't seem interested, but then all of sudden she told us to wait a second and she would come down. She opened up her front door and let us in and sat us down at her table. She started to ask a few questions and then talked a little bit about how she loves to read.  My companion and I then turned to each other, smiled, and I pulled out a copy of the Book of Mormon. Her eyes seemed to light up as we explained a little bit about the book, it's contents, and it's history. She told us how she can read for hours straight and some times won't even sleep. I was excited.

We were able to head back to her house this past Sunday and talk more about the restoration of the gospel and it's connection to the Book of Mormon. She was really eating it up and we could all feel the spirit strongly. She told us that she had already read about a fourth of the Book of Mormon. She even asked if she could mark the book and make notes. We told her yes! She seems to be really interested.  My companion and I are really excited to continue meeting with her and seeing how things go.

We had another similar experience with a Brother Chen. It was his second time meeting with us and we also taught him about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. As we gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon, he started to flip through it's front pages and scan the book intently.  The power of the Book of Mormon is so great. It really is at the center of our message to others and at the center of this Church. With out it, our church is nothing. It is so cool to see people who understand the importance of the Book of Mormon and begin the process of understanding the truthfulness of it.

Another fun little thing that happened during the week was when my companion and I were contacting people around the city lake on Monday. We were walking under some trees on this path when out of the corner of my eye, I saw this thing fall from out of the tree and "thud" on the ground. I walked over and saw this green circle thing that was moving. As I got closer to examine it, my companion and I were surprised to find out that it was a TURTLE!  It was stuck on the back of its shell so I flipped it over and then it crawled away. Pretty funny right? It was a good little highlight to the week.

Well, I hope this week goes great for everyone! It sounds like its starting to warm up at home and I would assume so for all of the other places too.

No comments:

Post a Comment