Thursday, July 25, 2013

Seeing Old Friends


Hello!
 
Another week has flown by here in Yuli. I forgot to mention last week that our P-Day would be on Tuesday this week, so I would not be able to email until then. We had a Specialized Training Conference yesterday in Hau Lian, about an hour away from our town. It was a really good experience. We were able to hear some inspired instructions from our Mission President and I was also able to see Elder Lackey, my MTC companion, and Elder Orchard who was also in my district at the MTC. Whenever we reunite at a meeting or something, I always feel like Alma and the sons of Mosiah as they reunite after serving their missions to the Lamanites for 14 years having not seen each other the whole time. I know my situation isn't as extreme... but it's so fun to see them all again! They are all doing great.

This past week has gone pretty great! Our investigator Sister Rong and two of her kids were able to come to church for their first time this past Sunday!  Her husband and their other son were not able to come because of work and a basketball competition, but we were so happy to see the other three at church! I think they had a great experience and really felt welcomed by the branch members. We really are like "little, big family" down here in Yuli. I think the family members were all able to feel the Spirit and have a good experience. Elder Relyea and I will visit their family tonight and will be able to see how they felt about church.

This past week, we have also had some great opportunities sharing the gospel with new people that we have come in contact with. On Saturday, we met a guy that is 18 years old and is already a doctor in a hospital. He is so smart! He already has a Book of Mormon and has read the whole thing.  A patient he had a year or so ago gave it to him.  Also, I was able to meet a high school kid on the train ride home from Hau Lian yesterday. I sat next to him and we started to talk and get to know each other and then I was able to have a great conversation with him about God and about Joseph Smith's experience. When I started talking to him, he told me that he was Atheist, but as we talked more and more he really started to open up and by the end he accepted my invitation to pray that night after he got home. He was so nice and really sincere!  I hope we will have a chance to see him again. Another cool experience was meeting a high school student here that is from California. His parents are divorced and he moved to California before middle school.  He comes back each summer to visit his dad. He was really open to meeting with us and talking about religion. He willingly accepted a Book of Mormon and even told us that he tried praying after he met us the first time like we had invited him to. How cool!  He will be heading back to California in a week, but we were able to get his information for the missionaries in California. Hope all continues to go well with him! 

It is cool each week to see all the different ways that Heavenly Father is preparing people to hear and accept the restored gospel!  I know with all my heart that the message we are sharing is true!

Last fun thing - on Saturday we had the opportunity to play T-Ball with the branch members, their kids, and some local kids. It was pretty fun! I haven't thrown a baseball in forever!  It felt so awkward...

Well, that's pretty much it for this week. I love you all and hope that you all have a great week back at home!
Elder Bastian

No comments:

Post a Comment