Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Earthquake!


Hi Everyone!
 
Another week has flown by here in Long Tan. It's been super hot lately! I think its been about 90+ degrees every day this past week. My companion and I are getting pretty tan! Well, kind of burnt and then tan. It's nice to have the sun around now and it looks like it's here for good.

This Wednesday we get move calls. I will probably be moving this Friday, but we will see what happens!
This past week has gone pretty well! Yesterday was great. We have been talking with so many people lately, but at this point just seemed like not too many were interested, then BOOM, yesterday morning two people just walked into church on their own. One is a mother with a 4 year old daughter. Her name is Sister Chen. Her father actually used to take her to our church when she was young, but since then has only gone periodically over the past several years. She says that recently things have settled down for her and she has more time so she wants to come back to church and get into everything again! We will meet with her this Wednesday, so we are really excited. 

The next exciting thing that happened yesterday was an earthquake! We were in our apartment at about 2:30 doing studies and then my desk started to shake a little. I thought, man, I must really be dehydrated and have a bad headache or something. Then everything started to shake and I realized that it was an earthquake! My companion and I looked at each other suprised. It lasted for about 20 seconds or so. It wasn't to bad at all though in my area. There is no damage that I know of. I'm not sure about the other parts of Taiwan though, the hotspot for earthquakes is more in the south. So that was a pretty interesting experience!

Saturday, I was also able to go on exchanges in the neighboring city Bade. I was with a newer missionary Elder Kesler. He is from Missouri and is just great! We were able to see a lot of miracles as we went out finding that day. We went to a park and the first man that we talked to was really willing to listen. At first he didn't really believe in God. He said he used to but that because of a lot of life struggles over the past 10 years or so he has kind of given up on Him. He said he just didn't care any more. As we started to teach him about Heavenly Fathers, his identity, and our relationship with Him, the man really started to change. We could all feel the Spirit. His heart really softened and he even told us that he believed what we were sharing with him. He thanked us for talking with him. He said he feels a new power that has been brought into his heart. I hope all turns out well for him.

I think that that is one of the greatest blessings of the Gospel is the hope and confidence that it brings to our lives. We know who we are, why we are here and where we are going. Life in not a mystery anymore, we understand, and don't need to fear!

Im grateful for the many blessing I have and for the wonderful experience I have had here in Taiwan.
I hope that everyone has a great week where you are!
Love ya!
Elder Bastian

No comments:

Post a Comment